Guest Editor Sarianne Gruber (@subtleimpact) reviews how one of the #MedMo16 Crowd Challenge winners, Aloha Health, has the ambitious goal of putting the ‘patient as person’ into the present healthcare model. They aim to provide and integrate into the patient record social factors and the context of everyday life, including environmental factors.
“The need to see patients as people is very real. It is an ideal that will drive healthcare transformation.” Mandi Bishop (@MandiBPro) Founder & CEO of Aloha Health (@Aloha_Health).
Mandi Bishop prefers to be called the Chief Evangelist rather than the Chief Executive Officer. Her new start-up, Aloha Health, launched this past July and she is making considerable traction. I caught up with Ms. Bishop in New York at MedStartr Momentum, an equity Crowd Challenge, where she won the People’s Choice award. (Congratulations to Mandi and the Aloha Health team!)
Here is an edited transcript of our conversation.
What makes Aloha Health “unique” as a healthcare data and analytics company?
Bishop: Aloha Health was designed with a singular mission – to allow providers, care managers, and people who are participating in the patient’s care to “view” a patient as a person. All contextual information about “you” is what makes you unique. This view of “clinically relevant social determinants” is important because it impacts your ability to manage your health on many levels such as your ability to follow instructions, how you interpret information, who you trust and how you engage. It is really important because we [providers] are all pressed for time. We are already seeing the patient revolution and hearing a lot of talk about engaging patients. Aloha Health is providing an opportunity to see patients as people without imposing additional time. We give you specific insights to help you see your patients as people.
How do see non-clinical insights adding value to value-based care metrics?
Bishop: As our industry moves from volume to value and from fee for service to more programs like comprehensive joint replacement and bundled payment methodologies such as ACO models. These types of shared savings programs involve shared risk. When you have a capitated payment structure where you are being asked to manage the care of an entire population, including people with a set number of funds. Obviously, you have to find ways to be very effective in that care delivery. You have to understand all the things about that population, and each patient as an individual to help him or her to help themselves become healthier. In turn, this saves money for organizations through improved health outcomes.
What types of data would be considered as the “other 95 percent”?
Bishop: The first 5 percent of the health data happens in the clinical setting. The remaining data is what we refer to as the “other 95 percent” and is what happens at home, at work, and in the environment. (more…)