As always the question is where to start? Perhaps with the FT headline ‘Powerhouse’ UK leads Europe app development, says research, a piece by Daniel Thomas on some research sponsored by Google & Tech City UK. A full version of the report is here. Key findings are that the UK:
- Has become the largest tech hub in Europe for app development;
- Received a third of revenues generated from mobile software in Europe last year;
- Is the base for almost a fifth of European developers of smartphone applications;
- is believed to be the world’s second most important tech hub after the US;
- Has about 8,000 companies involved in app development, employing close to 400,000 people.
Apparently almost half of app developers and designers in the UK generate most of their income from apps, although a fifth generate no income from apps at all but rather see them as a hobby.
Staying with the FT, Prof Mike Short has kindly also pointed this editor to another article entitled (more…)